Saturday, April 21, 2018

POISON, MY PRETTY by Amity Allen


Title:  POISON, MY PRETTY
Series:  Poppy #1
Author:  Amity Allen
Publish Date:   02.15.2017
Publisher:  Amity Allen
Category /Genre:  Cozy Mystery, Paranormal
Recommended for:  18+ due to sexual content
Grammar/editing:  B – a few small errors
Received from:  Amity Allen (as an ARC gifted copy)
Goodreads link: Poison My Pretty
Date completed: 02.16.2017

Description from the publisher:
As soon as Poppy Parker turns 21, the star of a popular TV show about witch detectives discovers she has supernatural powers off the set as well as on. When the show is canceled, she returns home to figure out how to harness the magic brewing inside her. 

Freaked out by these recent paranormal gifts, Poppy just wants to fit in, so when she’s asked to serve as a judge for the annual Bloomin’ Belles youth beauty competition she readily agrees. 

But when the pageant’s snooty director drops dead and Poppy’s friend is arrested, the former TV sleuth sets out to uncover the real killer, only to find…

the business of beauty can be deadly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

POISON, MY PRETTY is the first book in the Poppy series.  Each is expected to stand on its own. 

Let me start with saying that I don’t watch “reality TV.”  So, I don’t know anything about Toddlers and Tiaras, etc.  On the other hand, my sister was in pageants.  My mother was a stage mother (imagine me rolling my eyes here).  Oh, yes, I know these people!  Knowing them makes this story even funnier.  I have a feeling Ms. Allen knows them, too!

In case I haven’t made it obvious already, I loved this story.  I love cozy mysteries anyway (though what is cozy about murder will always baffle me).  I love stories about witches coming into their powers, especially when they weren’t expecting them, and I love humor.  Let’s face it.  Life is hard enough and humor helps to make it more bearable.  I appreciate each and every author and comic who eases the pain of the daily grind.  POISON, MY PRETTY clicks on all of these buttons and is well written to boot.

Then I come here to write up this review and discover that this is Ms. Allen’s first release!  Really.  She has started off well!  I’m looking forward to her providing us with more wonderful tales in the future.

Note:  while I was given this book as a gifted ARC, my opinions are my own and are given freely.

Poppy series:
  1. Poison, My Pretty
  2. Gunshots, My Girl
 










No comments:

Post a Comment