Thursday, August 15, 2019

ARSENIC AND OLE by Jessa Archer


Title:  ARSENIC AND OLE

Series:  Coastal Playhouse Mysteries #2

Author:  Jessa Archer

Publisher:  Archer Mysteries

Publish Date:   08.13.2019

Category /Genre:  Cozy Mystery, Short Story

Recommended for:  14+ due to vocabulary & murder/suspense

Grammar/editing:  received as an unedited ARC / errors excused

Received from:  Jessa Archer

Goodreads link: Arsenic and O

Date completed: 08.15.2019



Description from the publisher:

A QUESO MISTAKEN IDENTITY?

Tig Alden's neighbor is a royal pain.  Rebecca Whitley has managed to annoy pretty much everyone she's met since she followed her youngest son to Southern Coastal University two years ago.  Whitley's little dog, Leo, doesn't respect boundaries.  She delights in leaving scathing reviews online trashing local restaurants, the latest play at the university, and even the town's veterinarian.

When Mrs. Whitley turns up dead in her backyard pool, there's no question that it was murder.  Evidence points toward the owners of the local taco shop--the same people she accused of trying to kill her precious little Leo.  Tig thinks the couple is innocent, but with so many people who hated Mrs. Whitley, finding her real killer won't be easy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



ARSENIC AND OLE is the second book in the Coastal Playhouse Mystery series.  Each will stand completely on its own (but I really, really wish I had the others in this series).



I’m going to start with Tig’s name.  I love the nickname Tig; it’s cute.  On the other hand, her full name, Antigone, I can’t stand, mostly because I positively can’t figure out how I’m supposed to pronounce it.  Therefore, she’s just going to be Tig and nothing else.



I love Tig’s outlook and relationship with life.  She takes long walks on the beach.  She talks to her mother’s ghost without apology to the reader – you don’t like it, don’t listen (though she will respectfully try to do so without others around).  She has a realistic relationship with her daughter, but expects respect so gets it.  The same can be said of her boyfriend who is the police chief.



I loved this story, the wonderful characters, and the delightful twists that were spun throughout.  I really didn’t want to put it down and get my required eight (trust me; I snuck a few more minutes where I could).



I look forward to catching a few more hours with Tig and her friends!



Note:  While I received this book as a gifted ARC via Booksprout, my opinions are my own and are given freely.



Coastal Playhouse Mysteries:

0.5  The Phantom of the Opal

1.      Curtains for Romeo

2.      Arsenic and Olé

Also from Jessa Archer:

The Hand Lettering Mystery series:


1.      Who Shot the Serif?

2.      In the Nib of Time

3.      Kerning to Crime

Legal Beagle Mysteries:

1.      Scales of Justice

2.      Hound on the Sound

Thistlewood Star Cozy Mysteries:

Baskerville for the Bear

1.      A Murder in Helvetica Bold

2.      Palatino for the Painter

3.      A Séance in Franklin Gothic


















No comments:

Post a Comment