Wednesday, April 13, 2016

FAIRY METAL THUNDER by J.L. Bryan, J.L.



Title:  FAIRY METAL THUNDER
Author:  J. L. Bryan
Publish Date:   09.16.11
Publisher:  JLBryanbooks.com
Category:  Fantasy, Fairy Tales
Received from:  purchased on Amazon.com

Recommended for:  Teens, young adults, and anyone who remembers being a teenager.
Date completed: 09.09.13
Description from the publisher:
A rock & roll fairy tale.

Jason Becker plays guitar in a small-town garage band called the Assorted Zebras, along with a few other kids from his school.  Unfortunately, they have no fans, no gigs, and they're going nowhere. Then Jason catches a goblin robbing his house, and he chases the little green thief to creepy old Mrs. Dullahan's overgrown back yard, where he discovers that the miniature doors in her trees lead deep into the fairy world.

Jason returns with fairy instruments that transform the band's sound into powerful, enchanting music.  Soon, the Zebras are drawing huge crowds, but they discover their new gear is brimming with destructive magic they can't control.

Their shortcut to success turns Jason and his friends into enemies of the treacherous Queen Mab, who wants to keep the fairy world secret from humans.  She sends magical hunters to track them down, including one of the most dangerous horned creatures in Faerie...a small unicorn named Buttercake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Until his car is on the road, my son and I share my car.  I drive to work and then he takes the keys and gets himself to his job.  After work, I spend a couple of hours volunteering at A Gift for Teaching (http://agiftforteaching.org/).  Then Albert picks me up and we ride home together.  

 One day, my son was in the passenger seat, reading, and I was bored with just driving.  I told him to grab my Galaxy (tablet) and pick a book.  This book was read to me by my son on our way to and from work for about two weeks.

First, let me say, he couldn't have picked a better book for the two of us to share.  He was drawn by the cover, but the contents sucked us both into the story.  We were both laughing when Jason got into trouble.  Jason was living my son's motto, "it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission" when he went to band practice after telling his parents he was going to work.   

Jason plays guitar in a band with his friends from high school.  Albert (my son) also plays guitar and he was in a band with his Air Force buddies when he was living in Las Vegas.  When The Assorted Zebras (Jason's band) had their first gig audition, Albert paused to tell me all about the butterflies he felt when Fenrir had their first gig audition.  It made sharing this story a special time for the two of us.
 
Having my son read to me made me realize that our children are not just sponges at a young age.  What we do, what we say, and how we act really does shape who they are.  I was reminded time and time again of all of the time I spent reading to him and using different voices (to the best of my ability) for the different characters.  Albert is better at the voice thing than I ever was!  I especially loved when he did the little girl voice for Jason's sister, Katie, and the very English sounding Grizlemor the goblin.

Both of us enjoyed this book very much.  We have the next one, FAIRY BLUES, downloaded and he started reading it to me this morning.  We'll definitely be picking up the rest of the books as well!

Grammar/editing:  ungraded – since I was listening instead of reading, I don't know, but Albert said it was well done.

 Other books in the Songs of Magic series:
  1. Fairy Metal Thunder
  2. Fairy Blues
  3. Fairystruck
  4. Fairyland
  5. Fairyvision
Other Books from J.L. Bryan:
  • Nomad
  • Helix: Humanity Is Reborn
  • Dark Tomorrows (Anthology)
The Paranormals Series:
    • Jenny Pox
    • Tommy Nightmare
    • Alexander Death
    • Jenny Plague-Bringer








originally posted 09.10.13 on my previous website
WordPress.com closed that site because I promoted authors and their books. 




No comments:

Post a Comment