Saturday, October 2, 2021

GIRDLES AND GHOULS (Anthology)

Title:  GIRDLES AND GHOULS
Series:  N/A
Author:  L.A. Boruff
Publisher:  L.A. Boruff
Publish Date:  09.30.2021
Category /Genre:  Paranormal Romance
Recommended for:  18+ due to sexual content.
Grammar/editing:  received as an unedited ARC / errors excused.
Received from:  L.A. Boruff
Goodreads link: Girdles & Ghouls
Date completed: 10.01.2021
 
Description from the publisher:
Halloween can be hectic, especially for women over forty who fight evil and solve crimes, all while getting dinner on the table.
Fourteen of the best and brightest paranormal women's fiction authors have banded together in this collection of spellbinding tales featuring older women who are killing it. Now, if only it would stay dead.

With stories from:
L.A. Boruff & Lia Davis, authors of Witching After Forty
Lacey Carter Andersen, L.A. Boruff & Helen Scott, authors of Magical Midlife in Mystic Hollow
Daphne Moore & L.A. Boruff, authors of Unfettered
Lisa Manifold, author of Hexes & Hot Flashes
Jennifer L. Hart, author of Magical Midlife Misadventures
Terri A.Wilson, author of Last Round
Kat Parrish, author of The Shadow Palace
Ella Winters & Ruby West, authors of The Queen's Crossroads
Kate Moseman, author of Midlife Elementals
Katie O’Keene, author of Designer to the Dead
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OLD MAGIC AND ODD MOTHERS is the ninth book in the Witching After Forty (#4.5) series by L.A. Boruff & Lia Davis.  These stories do need to be read in the order of release.
Excellent addition to the series with a focus on Olivia and her surprises.  Those surprises are doozies!  I have read every book in this series so it probably isn’t fair for me to say if it would stand without that knowledge.
 
COOKIES AND COVER UPS is a prequel to the Mystic Hollow series by  Lacey Carter Andersen, L.A. Boruff & Helen Scott.  This is a prequel, though three other books have already been released.  I would recommend that if you haven’t started reading the series, read this one first.  A beautiful introduction to the series and a deeper understanding of what life was like for Deva, Carol, and Beth before Emma returned to Mystic Hollow.

FORGETFULNESS AND FETCHES is the fifth book in the Reckoning series by Daphne Moore & L.A. Boruff.  Though I have not read any other books in this series, I was able to catch on (mostly) to what this world was about.  Still, it was obvious to me that this was not the first of a series and I didn’t know their pasts.  I did enjoy it and it intrigued me enough to wish for more.

SAMHAIN & STRETCH MARKS is the fourth book in the Oracle of Wynter series (#3.5) by Lisa Manifold.  The series follows the story of Wynter, but this book is about Florry, her guide and how she became the Oracle of Theama before Wynter.  This absolutely will stand on its own and could be read as a prequel to the series.  I have not previously read any of this series, but I loved this world and would love to read more.

MUFFIN TOP AND MAGIC by Jennifer L. Hart is a stand-alone paranormal woman’s fiction and it is delightful.  This story has relatable characters, paranormal twists, laugh-out-loud humor, and peanut butter cups.  I have to admit to charging that mom-tax myself.

HAS-BEENS & HOCUS POCUS by Terri A.Wilson is also a stand-alone paranormal woman’s fiction.  Marilyn Bordeaux has lived her life to the fullest and made it in Hollywood, but scandal sheets have labeled her as a has-been diva.  Then she gets the phone call that her grandmother has passed away.  That’s when the reader finds out that “Marilyn” was raised as Mimi Patin in Morro Sound and she is a witch, not a bi…  This is a story of starting over on the next chapter of your life and getting it right.

POTIONS AND PILLS by Kat Parrish is a stand-alone witches and vampires story.  If this is part of a series, I couldn’t find any reference that supported it.  This completely stands on its own and I absolutely loved it.  Rachel and Melanie are best friends, but Melanie doesn’t know that Rachel is a witch until she gets tangled up in a battle between vampires and vampire hunters.  Excellent story with relatable heroines, scary hunters, and vampires that I wanted to trust.

SCARS & SCRYING is the third book in the Queen’s Crossroads (#2.5) by  Ella Winters & Ruby West.  It is an almost innocent romance between a single mom who is a werewolf and her son’s new friend.  It is obvious that this is part of a series; there is a lot of reference to something that happened to Rosa’s son, Carlos, the summer before.  Still this does stand without knowing what those prior events are.  I will say there is a lot of repetition especially of the “single mom” and “nearly lost Carlos” variety.  Other than that, I really enjoyed the story, and I truly loved the ending.

CROW’S FEET AND CAPERS is the third book in the Midlife Elementals series and a prequel by Kate Moseman.  This story stands on its own without having read any of the previous books. Lenore Frost is ready to retire when her bosses run off with the company coffers leaving her with nothing in her company-controlled retirement fund.  This story runs a fine-lines between retribution and justice, recompense and larceny, and left me wondering the right and the wrong.  I too was harmed by my former employers as I reached retirement.  Would I have gone to such extremes had the keys been available to me?

HEELS AND HEXES by Katie O’Keene is a stand-alone paranormal story of witches and husbands. An interesting world has been built and I would love to explore it some more, especially that dress store!
 
Note:  While I received this book as a gifted ARC via Booksprout, my opinions are my own and are given freely.
 
 








AMAZON-US
BOOKBUB
 


No comments:

Post a Comment