Monday, September 24, 2018

THE KINGMAKER by Selena Laurence


Title:  THE KINGMAKER
Series:  Powerplay #2
Author:  Selena Laurence
Narrator:  Rock Engle
Length:  8 hours and 2 minutes
Publish Date:   04.26.2016
Publisher:  Golden Age Press
Category /Genre:  Contemporary Romance
Recommended for:  18+ due to sexual content
Listenability:  OK  or  NSFW
Received from:  Selena Laurence (as an Audible gifted copy)
Goodreads link: The Kingmaker
Date completed: 01.19.2018, 09.18.2018

Description from the publisher:
"Laurence’s tightly woven story is a superb mix of sexual and political tension that’s certain to please fans of both." -- Publisher's Weekly

He's America's golden boy.  A power broker.  A Kingmaker.
She's America's dirty little secret.  A sex broker.  A scandal maker.
Together they are headline news.
Lies, deceptions.
A Presidency hangs in the balance.
Then, there is the chemistry.
It's combustible, incendiary, explosive.
She.
Will.
Ruin.
Him.
He might not care.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE KINGMAKER is the second book in the Powerplay series.  They do need to be read in the order of release.

This is the note I wrote to myself until I could sit down and write this review.  “Things I loved about this book:  You Are My Sunshine, Habibi, and a little Maltese puppy (Kingmaker, because she missed him).  Love means you forgive.”  Please, let me tell you a little about these four things.

You Are My Sunshine.  This is a recurring theme in my own life.  I have a ring I wear every day that has this quote on it.  I sang the song to my daughter when she was little.  I have pillows and posters in my bedroom.  I am in the process of painting a series of art with this theme.  In the book, Derreck sings it to London as a way to calm and soothe her when she was upset.

Habibi.  While it does not have a direct English translation, my understanding of the meaning of the word is “beautiful, cherished, treasured.”  I have a dear friend who calls me this sweet name.  London’s mother still thinks of her as her Habibi.

Kingmaker.  I am a sucker for a four-footed friend.  The description of a little white bundle of fur with a black nose is endearing.  He is immediately a fluffy confidante and companion, just like my own sweet baby.

Love means you forgive.  What more is there to say?  When you love – whether it is romantic love or family – you forgive the errors and grow stronger, together.

Put it all together and it builds a book that I loved.  There were hard truths and harder secrets.  It made my heart race in many ways and makes me smile in the memories.  This is a book I will listen to repeatedly.

Narration:  Rock Engle’s voice should be bottled… that is all I need to say!

Note:  While I received this book as a gifted audible copy, my opinions are my own and are given freely.

Powerplay series:
1.      Prince of the Press
2.      The Kingmaker
3.      POTUS
4.      SCOTUS
5.      The Darkhorse
Also from Selena Laurence:
·         Bittersweet Chronicles:  Pax Complete Story
·         The Czar
·         The Heir
·         Love, Lies, and British Spies
Rhapsody series:
1.      A Lush Rhapsody
2.      Racing to Rhapsody
3.      Addicted to Rhapsody
California Cowboys series:
1.      Cade’s Loss
2.      Vaughn’s Pride
3.      Ty’s Heart
Lush series:
0.5 A Lush Triangle
1.      A Lush Betrayal
1.5 A Lush Engagement
2.      Loving a Lush
3.      Lowdown and Lush
4.      A Lush Reunion
Hiding from Love series:
1.      Falling for Trouble
2.      Concealed by a Kiss
3.      Hidden
3.5 A Hiding from Love Wedding
4.      Buried
Foreign Exchange series:
1.      Speaking Greek













No comments:

Post a Comment