Wednesday, August 19, 2015

THE SILVER CHAIN by Primula Bond



Title:  THE SILVER CHAIN
Author:  Primula Bond
Publish Date:   07.04.13
Publisher:  Harper Collins UK, Avon
Category:  Erotica, Romance
Recommended for 21+ due to mature themes and sexual content
Received from:  Harper Collins UK, Avon via netgalley.com
Date completed: 09.20.13

Description from the publisher:

Bound by passion, she was powerless to resist.
One dark evening in London, photographer Serena Folkes is indulging her impulsive side with a night-time shoot.  But someone is watching her – mysterious entrepreneur Gustav Levi.  Serena doesn’t know it yet, but this handsome stranger will change her life forever…

Serena is fascinated by Gustav, the enigmatic owner of the Levi Gallery, and she soon feels an irresistible pull of attraction.  The interest is mutual, and Gustav promises to launch Serena’s photographic career at his gallery, but only if Serena agrees to become his exclusive companion.

To mark their agreement, Gustav gives Serena a bracelet to wear at all times.  Attached to it is a silver chain of which he is the keeper.  With the chain Gustav controls Serena physically and symbolically – a sign that she is under his power.

As their passionate relationship intensifies, Gustav’s hold on the silver chain grows stronger.  But will Gustav’s dark past tear them apart?

An erotic romance novel perfect for fans of 50 Shades of Grey and Sylvia Day’s Crossfire series.  The Silver Chain is the first in the sexy, passionate, and addictive Unbreakable Trilogy by Primula Bond.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm in an unique position of never having read E.L. James Fifty Shades of Grey or Sylvia Day's Crossfire series, so all of the comparisons from other reviewers meant nothing to me.  That is not to say that I have not read erotica nor does it mean that I do not enjoy it, just that I haven’t yet read those two series.

Twenty year old Serena Folkes has escaped her abusive past and is in London to begin her new life as a photography artist.  Gustav Levi is nearly double her age, the owner of art studios, but equally lost to the hurts of his past.  Together, can they find trust again?

I need to split this review into two parts – the story and the mechanics of writing.

The mechanics:  While part of my problem with this book may be the difference between the ways British and Americans express themselves, I’m sure that’s not the whole nut.  The diary entry by 7-year old Serena just does not sound like a seven-year-old wrote it.  There are also several instances of inconsistency in the story line.  I know editing can cause you to lose scenes, but afterwards someone needs to reread it with fresh eyes to be sure that the loss of a scene does not interrupt or tear apart the story.

Emotionally, Serena is twisted in a knot.  Reading this in the first-person dialogue pulled me along with the tumultuous thoughts of an abused twenty year old trying to figure out the world.  Serena is naive, damaged, strong and yet vulnerable.  She is also trying to build a name for herself in the art world and trying to understand the relationship she is building with Gustov.  Gustov demands trust and submission from all of those around him, without returning trust to any.  As is so often the case, the pasts they don’t share interfere with the present and the future they are trying to build.  

I loved this story.  I’m thinking I need a British pen pal or Facebook friend that doesn’t mind playing 20 questions when I’m reading from a British author, but I managed to determine meaning from context most of the time, I think.  Crystal was probably my favorite (favourite) character in this story.  Earlier this week, I had a mini-rant on Facebook about people calling me Mary instead of Mary Lou.  Then I start reading this book and Serena keeps calling her Crys.   Crystal corrected her every time; I was feeling very in tune with Crystal!  That’s not the only reason I love her, but it’s a good one.   Though I thought the timeline was warped, the story had me absorbed from beginning to end.   This was another can’t put it down books.  I will be watching for THE GOLDEN LOCKET, and reading it when it is available.

Editing / Grammar: A – nearly perfect 

Other books in the Unbreakable series:
  1. The Silver Chain
  2. The Golden Locket
  3. (not yet named)
Other Books from this Author:
  • Random Acts of Lust
  • Country Pleasures
  • Sisters in Sin
  • Club Crème
  • Out of Focus
  • Behind the Curtain








originally posted 09.21.13 on my previous website
WordPress.com closed that site because I promoted authors and their books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment