Saturday, June 13, 2015

A DARK GUARDIAN by Donna Grant


Title:  A DARK GUARDIAN

Series:  The Shields #1

Author:  Donna Grant

Publish Date:   2006

Publisher:  D.L. Grant, LLC

Category /Genre:  Paranormal, Romance

Recommended for:  18+ due to sexual content

Received from:  Amazon purchase

Goodreads link: A Dark Guardian

Date completed: 06.12.15

Description from the publisher:

Dear Reader,

Have you ever wanted to travel through time with weapons crafted by the Fae themselves? To experience adventure so thrilling and dangerous you don't know if you will live to see tomorrow? To know that the lives of your men and villages depends on the accuracy of your instincts? To lead a group of highly skilled warriors from other times and realms? Now my men and I are faced with fighting creatures only thought to live in legend but which have been brought to Earth by evil bent on annihilating all the realms. That is my life--and I love it.

At least I did until I found myself staring into the angelic, innocent face of Lady Mina of Stone Crest. In all the time I have led The Shields I have trusted my instinct to keep us alive, yet now I don't know what to believe. Everything points to Mina as the evil summoning the creatures, but she proclaims her innocence.

I should be able to see through her lies, if she is indeed lying, but my attraction to her blinds me to even that. The last time I found myself so attracted to a woman, it nearly cost me the lives of my men. I cannot allow that to happen again. I won't allow that to happen again.

Yet every time she looks at me, begging me with those blue-green eyes to believe her, I find myself sinking farther under her spell. Her mouth is a temptation mortal men will never know and her love will either bring me the peace I thought I'd never find--or the death I've managed, thus far, to avoid.

Hugh the Righteous

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


This is the first book in the Shields series.  They do need to be read in order of release.

The good:  great concept – warriors, the best of the best from throughout history, are trained by the Fae to protect the Earth Realm (and therefore their own) from the forces of evil.  Well planned outline - I did not guess the who, how, why, until it was revealed.

The “bad:” I wouldn’t really call it bad, just “meh.”  Is this a spin-off to another series?  I just felt like I was missing background from the beginning and never felt like I was caught up to speed.  I wanted to love Mina and Hugh.  I always want to love the H and h.  Mina is Disney princess sweet (and tortured), but she falls in love and lust (and bed) with Hugh even when she knows that he doesn’t trust a word that comes from her mouth.  Seeing with his own eyes is not enough for Hugh to fight his so-called instincts.  His instincts are a misogynistic belief that all women are evil because one hurt him long ago.  He doesn’t deserve Mina and I never felt the redemption that was supposed to come. 

The most believable character was the demon!

This is the first story I have read from Donna Grant.  I’m told that her other series are wonderful, maybe I’ll try one of those.

Grammar/editing:  B – errors, missing words


The Shields series:

  1. A Dark Guardian
  2. A Kind of Magic
  3. A Dark Seduction
  4. A Forbidden Temptation
  5. A Warrior’s Heart

Other Books from Donna Grant:

  • Savage Moon
  • Forever Mine
  • Mutual Desire
  • Wild Dream

Dark King Series:
  1. Dark Heat
  2. Darkest Flame (coming soon)
  3. Fire Rising (coming soon)
Dark Warrior Series:
  1. Midnight’s Master
  2. Midnight’s Lover
  3. Midnight’s Seduction
  4. Midnight’s Warrior
  5. Midnight’s Kiss
  6. Midnight’s Captive
  7. Midnight’s Temptation
  8. Midnight’s Promise
  9. Midnight’s Surrender (Holiday novella)

Dark Sword Series:

  1. Dangerous Highlander
  2. Forbidden Highlander
  3. Wicked Highlander
  4. Untamed Highlander
  5. Shadow Highlander
  6. Darkest Highlander

Druids Glen Series:

  1. Highland Mist
  2. Highland Nights
  3. Highland Dawn
  4. Highland Fires
  5. Highland Magic
  6. Dragonfyre

Sisters of Magic Series:

  1. Shadow Magic
  2. Echoes of Magic
  3. Dangerous Magic

Royal Chronicles Novella Series:
  1. Prince of Desire
  2. Prince of Seduction
  3. Prince of Love
  4. Prince of Passion

Wicked Treasures Novella Series:

  1. Seized by Passion
  2. Enticed by Ecstasy
  3. Captured by Desire














No comments:

Post a Comment